Sunday, 30 August 2026

77. Suede: Antidepressants

Released: 5 September 2025


Chosen By: Paul

Comments - 

Dean: Well I've listened three times too often. This is for me entirely superfluous. In the interest of balance, I enjoy the noise they make. He has a voice that I could follow if it said anything relevant to say which, unfortunately, it doesn't. I'm heading toward folk music that was more poiniant 20 years ago. I'll see you when I get there.

Paul: I never enjoy disagreeing with my learned friend above but I'm going to - I liked it. I also think there is plenty to say here around a mental health struggle. Some of the song titles and the cover would point to that.

Disintegrate ia a great glam-rock stomper to start with and Dancing with the Europeans is a big guitar power pop track backing it up. Then Antidepressants brings us some spiky post-punk. It's the sort of music that got me into this sort of music. Lovely stuff. 

Suede are, of course, better known for their nineties Britpop era - particularly a great run of singles between 1993 and 1997. While the songs that hark back to those days are perfectly fine I don't think they're the strongest tracks.

It finishes strongly - June Rain is heaped with sadness while Life Is Endless, Life Is A Moment brings us to a close like a Goth Smiths. It's not quite a star album for me but it's mighty close.

Ben: I quite enjoyed it. For me the first two thirds of the album is better, full of energy and good tunes but it tails off towards the end. 

They’ve never really interested me enough for me to spend much effort on actually listening and absorbing the music, and it’s the same here too. I sort of see where Dean is coming from, for me the lyrics are a bit too literal and the delivery always seems to be turned up to 10, a bit like Bono maybe.   I guess it doesnt matter so much during the rockier numbers but the slowies turned me off a bit.

However, overall I did enjoy it, and I will probably listen again.

Stu: SUEDE, ANTI-DEPRESSANTS then. It’s starts off with 3 bangers. I like the sound and I’ve always been a fan of Brets voice and it still delivers. Driving percussion and strident bass lines impress me throughout. Lyrics of course mean a lot to some and not to others. I find the first three tracks stimulating especially antidepressants considering my current situation and mood. Things slow down a little but I still find myself enjoying the energy and muscular approach of each track. Then we have the 2 slow burners to finish things off. I like these too so that’s makes a full house for me, no skips!! I did buy this on vinyl when it came out and the whole package really sits pretty tight, the black and white graphics along with the heavyweight sleeve and vinyl! Allowing a star ⭐ for this LP along with the new CURE LP. A real great showing from bands we grew up with ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️


No comments:

Post a Comment

77. Suede: Antidepressants

Released: 5 September 2025 Chosen By: Paul Comments -  Dean:  Well I've listened three times too often. This is for me ent...