Wednesday, 22 July 2026

76, MONO: Snowdrop

Released: 12 June 2026



Chosen by: Stu

Comments - 

Paul: So that's two (mostly) instrumental albums out of the last three. Where Angine de Poitrine's effort was full of energy, groove and challenging riffs, Mono's isn't. I found it, in the main part, instantly forgettable. 

The exception being Hedera which starts with a real sadness to it that was interesting for a while but soon led to a soft-rock ending. Which was perhaps most disappointing of all. There's nothing for me here.

Dean: Yes... a little dystopian in style and sentiment. For me - an easy listen. A bit like eating bacon and egg or my mum's lasagna (she hasn't made it for a good many years) or buttery mash with salted sausage while two doors down, a house is burning down. It's the sound of decay happening a safe distance away or when a bee is found floundering on the pavement and no sanctuary or action seems available. I liked it. Thanks Stu a timely reminder that life is brief and our efforts count right now. Our perseverance justifiable but our inactivity can only be a symptom of our ignorance. This is the soundtrack of demise. Haunting 🌟 Or is it like watching England play?

Ben: Mono - a Japanese version of Mogwai? Slow burn songs which inevitably lead to noisy crescendoes. I skipped through it when Stu first suggested it and made an assumption that I wouldnt enjoy it. However, actually sitting down and playing it properly, when I was a little tired, I connected nicely with it. I dont know if I’ll listen again but it was a pleasant experience. For some reason it reminded me of this….

Stu: This Japanese guys MONO caught my attention way back and I’ve been in love with them from their debut LP The Pipal Tree. They combine all the atheistic things that I love. They look great, the artwork on their records is always on point and the musicianship is amazing. They can combine a small space or the Albert Hall. I find their music mesmerising, uplifting, spine tingling, cathartic, inspiring, insightful, compelling and jubilant. I always really look forward to putting on my headphones and as the light fades in to dark the orchestral strokes and piano Melodie’s lift you up and then the drums and guitars come in for a brief pummelling to set your pulse rate up a notch before returning you to the serenity within those strings and 88 black and white keys. I’ve never picked songs as I’ve always taken the LPS as a concerto similar to the great composers such as Beethoven and Bach. I cherish each listen and it nourishing my soul.


No comments:

Post a Comment

76, MONO: Snowdrop

Released: 12 June 2026 Chosen by: Stu Comments -  Paul: So that's two (mostly) instrumental albums out of the last three....